Biscuits and chicken seem like they should be listed under the definition of comfort food. They are so hearty, taste amazing, and when they come together with soup and vegetables, you suddenly have hot chicken and dumplings! This time-honored dish originates from the South and Midwest regions of the country and, apparently, it was pretty popular to serve during the Great Depression. Thankfully, these are different times, but some things never really change, especially when it comes to getting good bang for your buck and great flavor.
That is why we are so excited to introduce this delicious chicken and dumplings recipe to your table. The ingredients aren’t very expensive and this dish doesn’t require all the admirable efforts of the original, vintage version, because it all comes together, believe it or not, in your trusty slow cooker. Frozen veggies also play an important part and they are so underrated! No need to spend extra money and prep time on fresh ones when they already are in the freezer section, ready to go in a snap.
We’re all fans of chicken pot pie and chicken soup, and this flavor combination has some irresistible similarities that do not disappoint. Instead of noodles or pie crust, it’s biscuits that really make us do the happy dance, and rather than baking them from scratch, we used the refrigerated, pre-made buttermilk kind. They taste so good, and all you have to do is pop open the container and follow the rest of our easy instructions. That’s after your other ingredients have cooked without any required babysitting, allowing you to do whatever else you need to do (read: kick your feet up). Let’s all agree, that’s the beauty of a slow cooker and we guarantee this retro recipe with a new twist is going to knock your socks off!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
20 minutes active; 3+ hours inactive to prepare serves 6
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 oz.) package refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can cream of celery soup
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 (8 oz.) package frozen peas and carrots, defrosted
- 1/2 (32 oz.) package low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cream of chicken, cream of celery soup and chicken broth until combined. Add poultry seasoning, then season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Place chopped onion and chicken breasts in slow cooker, then top with seasoned soup mixture. Cover with lid and cook on high for 4 hours, or until cooked through.
- Optional: shred chicken with two forks.
- After 3 1/2 hours, separate your biscuits, flatten them and cut them into strips.
- Stir peas and carrots into (shredded) chicken mixture, then top with biscuit strips.
- Cover slow cooker again (optional: place a paper towel under the lid to catch any condensation), then cook for another 1 hour.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Spend With Pennies