Comfort food is always on our mind, especially ways we can play with our food. We love to look for ways to modify some of our family’s favorite dishes. Shepherd’s pie is a classic meal that we often enjoy during the fall and winter. We were recently inspired to transform our standard fare into something amazing. Our bacon cheeseburger shepherd’s pie is just beyond delicious, and it’s a fun way to shake up an old recipe.
Much of the original recipe is here: beef, potatoes, and onions. The next ingredient is one that is almost so simple, we can’t believe we’ve waited so long to try it: cheddar cheese soup. It melts into the beef and onion mixture to add a creamy richness. Then, of course, we continue on with the mashed potatoes on top but we can’t help adding more cheddar cheese, which will melt and crisp into a golden crown atop the mountain of mashed potatoes. Now for the bacon, otherwise how can we call it bacon cheeseburger shepherd’s pie?! To serve, we generously garnish the top with chopped cooked bacon and for a pop of color, flavor, and freshness we sprinkle sliced green onions. Now we’re ready to dive in.
Finding new recipes doesn’t mean we need to reinvent the wheel. We can look to old classics and use a little creativity to make them into something fresh and new. This is a kind of fusion food, bacon cheeseburgers fused with shepherd’s pie turns into one amazingly delicious dish. Comfort food has never looked – or tasted – so good. Shepherd’s pie has always been a family favorite, so when this bacon cheeseburger version appeared on the table, it was an instant hit. Who doesn’t love the classic combination of meat and potatoes mixed with bacon and cheese?!
Bacon Cheeseburger Shepherd's Pie
40 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (10 oz) cans condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cooked bacon, crumbled
- 4 green onions, sliced on an bias
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a deep baking dish with cooking spray.
- Brown beef over medium high heat along with diced onions and minced garlic. Drain excess grease.
- Add condensed cheddar cheese soup, ketchup, mustard, and Worcestershire. Stir to combine. Bring meat and cheese mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Transfer beef mixture to prepared baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes, spreading evenly over top of beef. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake for 5-10 minutes, until potatoes are warmed through and cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes then serve garnished with chopped bacon and green onions.