Ground turkey sometimes gets a bad rap as being a little boring, but the truth is that you can use it in countless ways to make a delicious and easy meal with a healthier flair. In this quick skillet, it’s dressed up with some seriously scrumptious garlic butter flavor and paired with bright and tender asparagus for a complete meal that only takes fifteen minutes from start to finish!
You want to start here by cooking your asparagus in a large skillet until it’s still quite crisp but just shy of tender. Asparagus goes from perfect to overcooked fast and it will continue cooking a bit as it rests, so keep an eye on it!
You take the asparagus out of the skillet for the time being, but add the butter and ground turkey to it along with plenty of garlic and a little onion powder. Water and Worcestershire sauce help form a quick sauce that helps coat every morsel in garlicky butter and when the asparagus head back in they get coated in a few spoonfuls of it too.
Garlic butter is always good news and in this case, it takes ground turkey and turns it into something to ooh and ahh over. It’s not heavy enough of a sauce that it nullifies turkey’s healthy qualities – it’s just enough to make it totally delicious.
Garlic Butter Ground Turkey Skillet
15 minutes to prepare serves 4
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb asparagus, ends trimmed and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Fresh parsley, chopped, as needed
- Lemon slices, for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Add half of the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add asparagus and cook until barely tender. Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Remove to a plate.
- Add butter and remaining oil to skillet and cook turkey until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper and garlic and onion powder, cook until garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup water and continue cooking until liquid reduces, about 2 minutes.
- Push turkey to one side of skillet and add asparagus to other side, spooning sauce over asparagus.
- Top with fresh parsley and serve with lemon slices. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Eat Well 101.