When we want the ultimate in comfort food, we make up a batch of chicken and dumplings. The only drawback to a nice pot of chicken and dumplings is the time it takes to cook. That’s why we love this easy-peasy recipe for baked chicken and drop biscuit casserole. It’s done in under an hour and still makes the house smell like dinner’s been cooking all day.
The star of this dish is dense, yet fluffy dumplings that cook up on top of the casserole, absorbing its flavor. The rich gravy is a close second, though! These delicious biscuits are called “drop” because that’s the way they’re placed on the casserole. Try out our chicken and drop biscuit casserole bake for an instant favorite weeknight meal.
Chicken Drop Biscuit Casserole
35 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Sauté carrots and onion in olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet until soft. Add garlic, Italian seasoning, 2 tablespoons flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook until slightly browned. Add chicken broth and stir until thickened.
- Add chicken, season with pepper and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, mix together 1 cup flour, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add milk and 1 egg add to dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Drop biscuit dough by rounded spoonfuls onto chicken casserole mixture. Transfer skillet to oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until biscuits are browned and gravy is bubbling.
Recipe adapted from Chef In Training