You don’t even know what greatness is coming your way with this recipe. Buckle up and get ready. Have you had butter cake before? If not, that’s something that needs to remedied immediately, but we’re going to take things one step further: blueberry gooey butter cake. Holy guacamole, you guys, this stuff is amazing. Basically a buttery, cakey, blueberry cheesecake hybrid, every time we make this we end up devouring it in record time. It’s a problem. (But a really, really good problem that we’re totally okay with having.)
This dessert breaks down into two components, the buttery bottom cake layer, and the buttery, cheesecake-y top layer that’s covered in fresh blueberries that break down into hot, juicy bites of sweetness…are you drooling yet, or is it just us?? The edges of the crust end up caramelizing perfectly while the center stays ooey gooey, hence the name of the dish and our total obsession with it, and we end up with a dessert that disappears in a matter of minutes once you serve it. You’ll see, the people always for wild for it.
Oh, and did we mention you only need seven ingredients to throw this all together? Six, if you skip the vanilla extract! It really doesn’t get much easier, or tastier, than this, but here are some pro tips to keep in mind while this thing’s in the oven. You really do want the center to be pretty gooey when you take it out. It might look like it hasn’t set, but don’t worry, it will once you pop it in the fridge. If you don’t want the top of your cake to brown too much, you can cover it with aluminum foil and take it out a couple of minutes early, otherwise, let those edges caramelize and you’ll be golden (- pun intended). You’ll be so happy you made this, trust us, everyone will beg you for the recipe, so just make sure to save a piece for yourself and hide it somewhere…this stuff goes fast!
Blueberry Butter Cake
1 hour to prepare serves 12-16
- 1 (15.25 oz.) package yellow cake mix
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, divided
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (16 oz.) package powdered sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with butter or non-stick spray.
- Beat 8 tablespoons (1 stick) melted butter together with 1 egg in a large bowl, then beat in yellow cake mix until incorporated.
- Transfer mixture to greased baking dish, being sure to spread/pat it in and even layer, and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl or mixer, beat softened cream cheese until fluffy, then beat in remaining 2 eggs.
- Once they’re both fully incorporated, mix in remaining butter and vanilla extract.
- Working in batches, beat powdered sugar into mixture, mixing until smooth, then drop spoonfuls over cake batter, and spread carefully and gently into a smooth, even layer.
- Drop blueberries over cake and lightly press them into cream cheese mixture, then place baking dish in oven.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until center is just set, but still slightly jiggly in the center. Remove from oven and let cool.
Recipe adapted from Recipe Girl